My search for a gear swap donor in my '48 1 ton Eaton axle has come to an end. I found a good early 14 bolt from a 76 P/U then mated CC hubs from a 80 GMC (no idea if it was a SRW or DRW) This combination gets me 63" overall WMS to WMS. Your guidance has really narrowed my quest finding the correct brakes. If at all possible I want to stay with drums. That said, if all the salvage guys want to hose me I may end up with disc brakes for the same $.

My 14 bolt measures 42.5" spring perch ctr/ctr. The HO72 is 41.5". The truck has 1/2" spacers on the outside of each spring eye pin. By moving all the spacers inside I push the springs outward 1" and they fit the 14 bolt perfectly. After looking at ruffstuffindustries perchs, I think I'll leave the springs alone and go with their adjustable ones. The rear axle always sat too far forward to center in the fender wheel opening and looked weird.


1948 1 ton