69chevdump,
You have got some good advise so far, but right now I'd only do the checking work first, especially the trans info.
I looked back and don't believe we know what model series you have. Is it a C-60? Also do you know if it is a wide front axel truck or narrow? A quick way to tell is how wide your front fenders are. Do they flare out about 3 or 4 inches? or about 6 or 7 inches? Of course a picture would be great if you could post one.
The shift pattern that you posted, more like I would descibe as
0 1 3
R 2 4
(had to put the "0" in to make it work right)
is actually a SM 420 pattern (assuming for now it is a 4-Speed) and it don't sound like that would be the correct trans in your '69. If it is not original, needing to know the info on the trans would be helpful at this point.
Bill