69chevdump. I think you should sit in the truck and move the gear shift around and try to pin point the number of gears it has. It may be a 5-speed with a 4-speed shift knob. The shift pattern may be like this:
1 3 5
2 4 R

Another possibility would be:
1 3 5
R 2 4
I have also seen R 2 4 5
1 3
That is usually only seen in large trucks. I ran into it in a '79 Kenworth.

I once bought a John Deere bulldozer with what was supposed to be a 4-speed transmission. One day I accidentally discovered another position; forward and all the way over to the right. Slipped the shift lever over there and it must have tripled the speed of that dozer. Regardless of whether your truck has a four-speed or five-speed neither one would be an overdrive so the top speed would be the same with either type of transmission. Too bad the truck doesn't have a tachometer; you could probably solve the problem in a heartbeat by watching the engine rpms.

Jay 1124