Hi Jay D.

It sounds like because of packaging issues under the hood, a turbocharger would be the better option. It’s my understanding that most OEM’s that use turbochargers on their "Daily Drivers" offerings succeed with lower than ideal boost levels with good results.

The thing that the roots type superchargers bring to the table is instant boost when you put the pedal to the metal. With a turbocharger, you have a slight lag before the fun begins.

Let the folks over on the Turbo Forums know your challenges and why you think a turbocharger is what you want to use with less than ideal boost levels. There is a user over there with the username bbi_turbos you might reach out to. From what I’ve seen, he is the most knowledgeable for something special like your project.

Also, expect to be in at least the 8 to 9 pounds of boost range to get a modest 50% gain in horsepower. This is taking in account for basic efficiency losses of the system.

Most OEM engines (that are in good shape) can reliably handle that kind of increase in power if you don’t rev it up too high. You mentioned you wouldn’t rev past 5,000 RPM. I think that is good advice. If it were me, I wouldn’t spin that 3 main journal crankshaft inline 6 more than 4,500 RPM with boost.

Last edited by DavidBraley; 06/16/2024 4:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.