Summer before last I bought a set of bronze soft plugs for a 235. Trouble is I don't remember where I bought them; anyhow, they existed just over a year ago.

If you, the original poster, were willing to do a little shee-tmetal work on the toe board, you could pull the trans, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing and access the soft plug after a little sheet-metal surgery. But by that time you're just a hood, front motor mount, some wire, hoses, exhaust flange bolts and a radiator away from pulling the engine. Oh, and the gauge connectors. I replaced a leaking cam plug that way one time. Didn't have to cut anything though.

On separating the engine and trans for engine removal: I have only done it that way but the older I get the harder it is to wrestle that SM420 even on a jack. Next time I think I'll try that the one-unit approach. I'll have to open the shop man-door to get the extra three feet though so I wouldn't do it in the dead of winter. We're expecting 20 below end of the week.

Last edited by 1Ton_tommy; 01/08/2024 7:54 PM. Reason: typo

1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.