I was debating between this and the interior forum for this question, so feel free to punt it over there if you thibk it makes more sense there.

I have been going through my 58 making it safe to actually drive. I had not looked really closely at the steering column before other than to note that it wasn't original and plan on eventually putting in a tilt column along with power steering.

That project is low enough priority to not be on the list yet, but I wantes to get a set of turn signals working. Looking at the steering column from the engine side of the firewall, it appears to be original. It has the tube pressed into the steering box, goes through the floor with the standard cover, and mounts to the dash in the normal location.

What has me confused is this turn signal switch. It doesn't work (verfied by probing the wires at the base of the column) but it looks decent so I would like to fix/use it.

Does anyone recognize what it might have come from? It is being held in place by a hose clamp just below it. The steering wheel that is installed is an 80s GMC wheel. The electrical connector on it is not the Chevrolet standard flat connector, so that might be a hint as to what it came from originally?

If I can get parts for this switch (ideally contacts and a cancelling cam) I will just put a standard connector on use it.

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG20230928115402.jpg (322.42 KB, 186 downloads)
Engine bay
IMG20231020114158.jpg (320.71 KB, 183 downloads)
Under dash/connector


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues