The engineer in me really appreciates your solutions Jon
I don’t mean any disrespect I love reading your posts and I do occasionally go down the same path

I worked in tech in Silicon Valley for 17yrs
We had many magnets in all sorts of designs
It’s a very complicated field (pun intended)
Old disk drive magnets are the same bulk strength as the ones I suggested, about an n41 rating, but drive magnets are very specific shapes that are more difficult to work with
And as long as the magnets can make the speedo pole reach saturation that’s all that matters

Gps is already on a planned obsolescence schedule
Sure other countries are picking it up
Pretty much All gps modules support Galileo and glonass now but I like not relying on a satellite
Besides, only a good old speedo tells you how fast the tire is spinning when your stuck
And it will never go obsolete

I’ve had too many overly complicated solutions fail in my life where the tech changed enough that it was almost a redesign to maintain it
I learned that lesson now, keep it simple and serviceable.
-s