Whatever way the magnets want to naturally stick to the poles in the speedo is correct
The field is going to re-enforce the magnetism the correct way
The goal is to make one side of the spinny part north and the other side south
There was a thread where I drew a diagram to explain it
Don’t know how to link to it at the moment but assuming you found it
Do it like that
Also folks said they had good experience magnetizing like in the old science books way
Where you stroke the magnet onto the part and drag it off repeatedly in the correct orientation with aligned poles
I tired that a bit and then left the magnets affixed to the speedo part overnight and whatever I did worked perfect because my Speedo was dead on accurate the next day when I did a trial run.
-s
My magnets seemed plenty happy to bridge the two poles either way. Attached picture shows how I have it set up now. The nuts in the middle are shims to span the gap. Let me know if that looks wrong.
The other pic is to illustrate a question I have. Does the hook end attach to the little protrusion I’m pointing at with the toothpick, on the left? Or does it attach to the other apparatus on the right. And if it attaches on the right, to which part of that apparatus?