Originally Posted by CrowbarBob
6.67 is the same ratio of the gearset used in my CCKW (G-508). The one in your images looks a lot like the gearset used in the corporate (aka "banjo") axle used in some G-508s and all G-506s.*

The odd part is the "Studebaker" reference on the box. The Army's 2-1/2 ton Studebaker US-6 used a different driveline, which was made by Timken and was of a totally different design. The ring and pinion sets are not interchangeable.

Best Regards...

*Edit.

After looking closely at the TM, this is not true.

Ring gear on the corporate axle has a wide shoulder on it, to provide contact area for the thrust block. The ring gear in your image does not have this feature. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused...

CrowbarBob, your first impression I believe is correct. Like you, I am confused by the reference to GM AND Studebaker on the tape. This ring and pinion look nothing like the illustrations I've seen for the Timken axles used on Studebaker US6s and some split axle CCKWs.

The set is virtually identical to the set from my Chevy G506. The shoulder you mention is just the surface opposite the ring gear teeth. This ring gear, including the back thrust screw surface, looks just like my G506 ring gear except the number of teeth.

My quest for the Lempco catalog was primarily to assure myself that it is correct for a GM banjo axle and NOT a Studebaker US6. I have a couple people interested, and one of them owns a US6. I would hate to sell it to him then find out it doesn't fit🤔

Last edited by 1942-G506; 03/13/2023 11:07 AM.

WW2Chevy
1942 Chevrolet G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Army Cargo w/ winch

(Retro-roco)