Originally Posted by panic
Advancing the cam will pick up the low speed, but also make intake valve contact with the piston worse.
How much room do you have now?
About 0.047". It is ground with 4 degrees advance already.

It has noticabely more low end torque now with one point higher compression ratio and an extra 20 cu. in. and now I'm working on fuel consumption. I think a shorter intake duration cam would help that. If I lean out the carbs any more I get exhaust valves sticking in their tight guides on a cold morning at sea level.

Quieter valve-train operation would also be a plus. Valve lift is 0.450." Don't need that much lift and that radical a lift rate.

After all is said, the current setup has lots of power to make the next gear but for longevity sake I don't turn it much over 3,000, with 12 speeds I don't have to. I got over 200,000 out of the 235 that the cam came out of. Don't lug it and don't over-speed it that's my motto.

By the way, does anybody know of a source for valve rotators? The ones that came on the 261 I bought were unusable. I couldn't find a listing by that application.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.