Yes, I know. Worked well with the previous gearing giving 2850 @ 60MPH in 4th over. This setup pulls well in 4th direct or 4th under pulling a 6% grade, like, say, Siskyou Summit but at 60 on the flats into a stiff headwind all day across southern Idaho it sucks but it only sucks about 2inches of vacuum if that. Of course, if I run it in 4th direct at 2900 instead of 4th over at 2400 all is well except for the noise and fuel. That leg of my trip got only 7.5MPG. I blame that on the wind... and an attempt to avoid being run over by trucks with Idaho's 80MPH speed limit. As they say, its' complicated.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.