I don't give a concrete water barrier about ".050 lift duration"- - - -it's a cop-out for cam grinders who have lousy quality control or machinists who can't read a dial indicator or a degree wheel. When I degreed the Elgin CCS-1 cam we installed in John's engine, it was dead-on accurate on every lobe we checked. Since I've slept a few hundred times since then, I don't remember specific numbers. Yes, they include the clearance and deceleration ramps in their advertised duration, which, IMHO, is ridiculous. I haven't had an opportunity to degree the Melling cam I've got stashed away, so the jury is still out on that one.
Getting anal-retentive about "original" lobe profiles for cams that haven't been manufactured for decades is counterproductive, and borders on having an obsession with useless minutiae. The Elgin cam is a good one, judging from my own experience, and John's testimony about how well his truck performs compared to his previous engine and the 4.56 gear it had when it was running the 216. He's running a 4.10 behind a direct drive SM-420 in a 3800 pickup. I'm hoping the Melling cam will also provide good results. "Stay tuned" as the oldtime radio announcers used to say!
Jerry
I wish you were a little closer to Tennessee- - - -I've got a complete 5.13 center section in what appears to be excellent condition, and I'd make you a racehorse deal in a swap for that 4.56! Do you ever get on the east side of the Big Muddy Mississippi?
Jerry