I know a lot of people like to convert their vehicles from 6v to 12v.
One of the reasons often mentioned is to get better/brighter headlights. Some people complain that the 6v lights are too dim and dangerous. I wish to dispel that myth
Last night I drove 40 miles from my mom's house out in the country to my home in downtown Atlanta. The first 15 miles is in total darkness with no streetlights.
Anyway, the 6v headlamps on my truck shine as brightly and as far as any modern vehicle's lights.
I believe the 6v system is often automatically scapegoated for dim lights and slow starter turnover as an excuse to convert to a 12v system when in reality the culprit is likely crappy 2 or 4 gauge battery cables, worn out wiring, and old headlamps.
I installed Wagner 6v halogen headlamps. They aren't the obnoxious blue light or ugly LEDs. I recently wired the headlamps all the way to the cowl with new 12ga wire and new lamp sockets. When I got the truck I immediately replaced the battery cables with 00ga cable.
Not only do the headlamps and tail lamps shine as brightly as modern cars, the original dome light lights up the interior brighter than my 12v Ford pickups, and the starter spins as fast as any of my 12v vehicles.
I'm not trying to tell people 6v is better than 12v but I think people could save a lot of time and money by making sure their 6v system is in top working order rather than scrapping the whole system and converting to 12v.
Getting the performance you desire from your truck might be as simple as changing your battery cables and installing 6v halogen headlights.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 10/23/2022 1:08 PM.