I pulled the oil filter can off the exhaust manifold to get to the heat riser flap for some recent work, and my upper line broke in half due to age. That was fine with me, since I had everything out of the way it was a good time to replace them. To replace the line, I took the can all the way out and cleaned it up, probably will paint it too. But after ordering my new hoses from classic parts, I'm wondering how everyone else manages to install them.

First thing I noticed on taking them out of the box is that they do not have the 90* fittings on both ends of the two lines. That's not so much a problem seeing that the lower ends that attach to the engine block will be easier to put in anyway. But what gets me is there are no rotating fittings like the old lines. The old lines had at least one end that allowed the thread insert to rotate on a pressed on collar. These new ones don't have those. SO!

How do you manage to tighten the opposite ends that have the same directional threads on two separate lines?? I can see if it was just one. I'd stick the one on the block on first and twirl the can until the upper end was tight. But how do you do that with 2 lines? Seems to me that by not having a fitting that allows spinning in place fittings will keep this from working on the second hose after connecting it to the block. By having the first hose mounted, spinning the can to get the second hose connected will only put the first hose in a bind. Am I missing something here?? In the end, it's really disappointing that CP can't find fittings that match the original "thought out" hose fittings. Which brings me to my next question- can someone tell me where to get the correct OEM type hoses? My truck is original, and besides wanting to use the original style (like I just removed), I'd also like to get this done without a lot of headaches. Thanks for any replies or comments (and references to OEM style hoses). Lee

Last edited by showme; 06/04/2022 4:44 PM.

"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235