I read the MP site and watched the video. MP says in no uncertain terms never to use a perportioning valve for the front brakes. On my 3800 pickup with stock brakes I believe the factory front-brake bias is too much. The front brakes wear much faster and worst of all, when loaded on snow, the front brakes often lock up under medium/hard braking so I have no steering. With my camper there is 6,000 lb on the rear axle and 3,200 on the front axle. I once bought an adjustable valve thinking I'd use it for the front brakes but I've been afraid to install it. On the old class 8 trucks I used to drive, when they had front brakes at all there was a switch on the dashboard to shut them off on on slippery roads. In later years but before anti-lock brakes that switch disappeared. After that I had to chain up one steer tire to have steering on bad ice conditions, not unusual in the mountains of the Northwest and BC. I'm traveling less in bad weather now but I'd still like to have the option to limit the front brakes.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.