Well the old bolt came out smooth as silk after a night of soakin' in WD40, and I got out the propane torch in preperation to heat the ring and put it on the flywheel.

Well after about 45 minutes of that, I decided I was getting nowhere fast.. so I decided to try stickin' the ring in the BBQ grill.. but alas.. no propane.

What next? You guessed it! The wife wasn't home, and it was a NOS gear so it wasn't all greasy or oily, so in the kitchen I went!

I set the oven for 475, and while she was pre-heating, I laid a old rug next to the oven door. Next I grabbed one of those aluminum disposable pans we use to cook pizzas on and it was just the right size for the ring gear. About that time, the pre-heat was done, so in went the ring gear!

While it was "cookin'" I went outside, got the flywheel and laid it on the old rug in the kitchen. After cooking about 30 minutes I popped it out of the oven, laid it on the flywheel and it just dropped right on. No pounding, no pushing no nothing.. just flop it was there!

With a heavy glove on my hand, I ran my hand around the edge to make sure she was nice and flush, then, since I was already in the kitchen.. I made myself a couple of sandwiches to celebrate!

After lunch, the flywheel was cool to the touch, so off I went to re-install the flywheel, which went on pretty easy.

In went the battery.. since the ground wire is bolted to the tranny, and the tranny isn't currently bolted to the engine, I just clamped a jumper cable from the neg of the battery to the "hole" in the bell housing where the tranny mounts, then hopped in and stomped on the switch:

Rurrrrrr........ ruh......ruh......rurrrr.

She's turnin' over, but doin' it SLOW. I put a meter on the battery as I was crankin' it over and the voltage dropped from just above 6 to just above 4VDC... my guess is that the battery needs a recharge?

It's a new battery, but it's been sitting in a cabinet in the kitchen for the last few weeks since I bought it. It's only use was when I first bought the battery when I slapped it in the truck and cranked it about 30 seconds before the flywheel ring gear broke.. so perhaps between the usage before and the sitting in the cabinet, it kinda lost some juice?

My ground is pretty solid, and the hot wire was tight on the battery.. I imagine if it wasn't getting a good enough contact, it wouldn't turn the starter over at all, would it?

Now I gotta find a 6V battery charger!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.