Well there was about an inch of cow poop and mud coating the trans, I couldn't even figure out where the bolts were that held it on.. so I spend I good hour or more out there with a wire brush, a paint scraper, and a small "toothbrush sized" wire brush to get her pretty clean.

The mud tomb it was in must have served to protect it, because i'll tell ya.. it looks like a new transmission once the dried, hardened muck was removed.

With the speedo cable removed the hand brake assembly removed, and the drive shaft dropped, it was a simple matter of four bolts and out and up the tranny came.

A little oil came out one of the front bolt holes that attached it to the bell housing and I was shocked to see it was as clean and pretty as thick honey.. so i've got high hopes that my tranny is A-OK.

After lunch, i guess the next step is to figure out how to get the bell housing off so I can pull the clutch and get to the flywheel.

There's a "top" panel to the floor (that goes behind the gas pedal, stomp start pedal) that i've been hitting with WD40 in an attempt to make removing it's screws go easier.. I guess my first step will be to get that booger off and out to give me a better view of what i'm dealing with.

No doubt i'm going to have a fair amount of "muck removal" in order to really get a look at what needs to come off.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.