ah yes, the problem with text is it's sometimes hard to convey meaning. Sorry about that.
All the mechanicals and electricals are the same as a US or Canadian pickup. It was made in Canada
The component on the starter is a - quote from the workshop manual - "reversing switch is used to reverse the direction of the current each time the engine is started to produce uniform wear on both distributor contact points."
The alternator, coil, Pertronix ignition, key ignition switch, and 12 volt starter motor were all purchased as a kit, and designed to be suited to each other, and suited to a Chevy 216 engine, from Vintage Auto Garage in San Ramon, California. vintageautogarage.com
I installed this kit quite easily and it has been working fine.
This new starter has a built in solenoid. To be honest I'm not even sure what a solenoid does.
But, I now wish to go back to the old 6 volt starter with foot pedal, but keep all the other components.
Do you think I should be able to connect the old 6 volt starter to this system without causing problems?