My vote would be to buy the correct replacement tank and resolve this issue knowing it was done right. If it was just cleaning the tank I would vote to clean and seal, but having to cut the top to gain access to remove the dent, that changes everything. Not having the experience of welding sheet metal, I wouldn’t even attempt something so important as a gas tank. In addition to the repair, your still going to have to clean it and treat it to stop future issues. Once you weld in the top that you used to gain access, the weld area inside the tank will very difficult to get clean enough to be properly treated to prevent further issues.
Bite the bullet and replace the tank. You’ll have years of trouble free service from that new tank. Once that money is spent, you’ll never regret it.
Edit: The link to Classic Parts said “limited quantity” so I wouldn’t waste any time.
Last edited by Phak1; 03/14/2021 1:18 PM.