1950 Chev Ute - Austraian Built 216 motor with a wagon / sedan delivery fuel tank.

Starting new topic rather than continue old one.

Here is a link

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...9255/fuel-pump-bleeding.html#Post1399255


I have a tank issue.

It has a few problems
- its had a hole cut in the top previously,
- its got a bulge in the back of the tank where the spare tyre is meant to sit and cannot fit because of the bulge as it looks like its gone bang on someone when they cut it
- its been sealed and the sealer has failed and is blocking up fuel lines
- it has a fair amount of rust inside.

I got a quote from a raidator shop that specialises in tank relining, to clean fix and reseal will cost me 1145 dollars

I got a quote from a tank builder, 1450 dollars and it will no longer be original or even a copy of original

I am looking at another used rusty tank next week, that I can possibly clean out with some nuts and agitation and then seal it

Or, i can just buy a wagon delivery tank 1948 repop from classic chevy for 760usd delivered which is about 1100 aussie dollars.

https://www.classicchevy.com/early-...n-wagon-wagon-1949-1954-80-373445-1.html

Not sure whether to bite the bullet and just get the gal tank or have a go at rebuilding a rusty tank,

I dont think i should stick with the current tank as i cannot fit my spare wheel in due to the bulge and its got a hole cut in the top which shouldnt be there, if I was to keep my tank I think I would cut the top off, sandblast it clean, panel beat the dent out and then make a new top or refurbish the removed section and hopefully be good enough to tig weld it back on, i can tig weld thick items but never really tried thin steel.

Steve
Attachments

Last edited by Simso; 03/14/2021 9:34 AM.