I cant speak to GMC but maybe 62 chevy is close - With this in mind I had the same problem for over 10 yrs. I did not have a good understanding of what I had in my column and what 62 should have been. Made for troubleshooting and buying parts difficult. The task finally became priority and I worked it out by finding a youtube video on the subject.
See if you can find a youtube on 59 bel air. It showed the mechanism as it should be in the truck and then I was able to figure out how the mechanism worked and what I was missing. pieced it together from there.
As suggested, there is a chance you dont have the original column. Cant speak to that spring. The collar does rotate a bit as I recall.
~ HB 1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery 1962 Chevrolet C10 1962 Suburban