As this is a older thread i thought an 2020 refresh might be in order, I am going thru the tie rod/adjustable drag link update/replacement process on my Art Deco ’46.
Am using the “non taper” tie rod ends (available from the usual old truck specialty suppliers) that fit into the existing ends without reaming.

I will say right now that modern cars went to taper rod ends for a reason, and going down that tapering path may well be a better longer term solution.

I took a few measurements of the wheel alignment (with toe plates) and tie rod centers for later setup.
After disassembly/removal of the linkages, mounting arms, & pitman arm from the truck I removed the ball ends without a press, just cut off the ball end with a 4” mini grinder/cutting disc, ground it flush/flat to the arm using a grinding disc, (i did not grind at all on the peened side), then put the arm over a socket and used a 5lb mallet & 5/16” x 3” bolt to drive the remainder of posts out of the arms, driving from the ball side pushing down/out thru the originally peened end. It takes a few hits to get going but once each moved they drove right out. Hold the drive bolt with a pliers please.
This worked for the pitman arm and the 3 steering linkage rod end mounting points.
For the drag link..... (see update below!)I ordered a new long tie rod, and a 2nd pair of left & right tie rod ends, i will use the new rod to replace the existing long rod, & will cut the old long rod and rethread the right hand threads to use as the adjustable drag link. (see update below!)

Update: I won't be using these same tie rod ends for the drag link, in my view the straight post ones sent me do not have enough Y axis (up/down) range of motion, on the 46 the front drag link joint is subect to greater up/down from body roll than i believe these tie rod ends can tolerate. Am looking into the taper/reamer fitment option to allow more choices.
chuck

Last edited by ccanepa50; 12/10/2020 1:08 AM. Reason: update on parts

Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club