"Restoration creep" about sums it up. I've found over the years, that I can eliminate a bunch of headaches if I focus my efforts on one improvement at a time. As an example....the engine run-in on a fresh mill is to me, one of the most critical operations we take on. Sticking in a new HEI and a rack of new carbs and worrying about getting everything set up so you can get that "first" crank-up and cam run-in accomplished, can really be a hassle. Not that it can't be done....but experience has taught me to tackle one change at a time....get the bugs worked out....and then go to the next. That way you aren't messing with your carbs when the problem is actually timing. Putting on a set of $200. dollar headers is going to run your cost up to twice that much by the time you get your entire exhaust system plumbed in. That's okay if you know in advance that you're pockets had better be twice as deep as you planned at first!!!!
I guess I just fall into that group that advocate "KISS"....super simple makes for a happy camper. Probably something that comes with A-G-E and experience!!!
Dave