Originally Posted by ESum
I know that the condenser keep the points from burning and through some recent troubleshooting I learned that my international cub will not start without out it. I was surprised by that so I removed the condenser from the 250 in my 66 pick up, same thing will not start. So what all does the condenser do?
Possibly the points were arcing as they opened, causing the current thru the coil to slowly drop instead of going to zero nearly immediately. In order for the coil to generate the high voltage to fire the plugs, the current and magnetic field needs to collapse quickly. Most likely there wasn't enough secondary voltage to generate a hot spark for starting.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.