Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Mount it on a heat sink near the fan- - -even on a hot-running engine there should be a little safety margin at 180+ degrees, and if a stovebolt engine ever gets that hot the average forum member with lace on his drawers will call 911 because his blood pressure is spiking- - - -the engine won't care!

What about the flywheel time on subsequent charge/discharge cycles? Condenser operation is not a one-time thing- - - -it repeatedly charges and discharges as the induced voltage in the primary winding from the coil firing must be dissipated by cycling from the insulated side of the condenser to ground and back while the points are opening and closing. Can the capacitor you're recommending be charged from either side of the dielectric?
Jerry

Hi Jerry and thanks for the comments. As for the flywheel time, we'd have to know the resistance value, yes? At least I'll say the formula I have requires it. However, simple charge/discharge time lacking resistance for this type of capacitor (with a capacitance of .22uF and assuming voltage of 1000) is as I recall a fraction of a microsecond. I can't imagine the primitive foil/gel or foil film condenser would be any faster or more dependable than this newer type of capacitor.

This morning I found another one I like better. It is roughly 1 inch square by 1/2 inch tall (a specialty thin dielectric type) with 25mm long leads. Also, it is rated up to 260 degrees F. That is about the top range for standard grade capacitors. And it is one of the type designed so that it will "self-heal" shorts caused by transient over-voltage spikes. But I don't think this will ever be a factor here...it is rated up to 1000 volts dc and 700 AC. The dielectric will charge both ways (which as you pointed out must happen).

For the people looking for a traditional condenser not made in China, Borg-Warner advises me they make these (BERU brand---Germany) but not specifically for Stovebolt engines. Possibly another condenser could be adapted to work but the case, mounting clip, connection lead, size would be different and possibly a condenser for a later year Chevy engine might adapt. The man in Germany has given me the name of a person to contact in the USA. I also spoke with a friend (retired from NAPA) who said all these being sold in the USA have been made for 25 years or more in Mexico or China with the possible exception of a couple of special ones. He said the ones from Mexico might be less prone to failure (and he thought some were once made in Brazil) but he also added they've been hit or miss from the standpoint of accuracy and quality for a long time.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end