On the bigger trucks Chev and GMC diverged quite a bit. It wasn't just GMC engines and different badges like on the medium duty trucks. Maybe I'm commenting on the obvious here but be careful about assuming what you find in the Chevrolet book applies to GMC. Then there is the confusion over what was produced for the Canadian market. I cannot speak to that as I have only worked on US GMCs and Chevs. The three-speed power divider is a new one on me and that alone might make the truck worth restoring or at least preserving.
You might also look up the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society). Their members mostly focus on heavy trucks, like what is now yours, and heavier. They have chapters all over the country and regional shows and a national show annually. I've been to seeral nationals and they had upwards of a thousand entries. The National in Yakima WA attracted lots of logging equipment from B.C. Jim Carter was there and I talked to him at length. Nice guy. They skipped this year but a couple of the regional shows went on.
1951 3800 1-ton "Earning its keep from the get-go" In the DITY Gallery 1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.