Hey guys, thanks for this. You see, this is what I'm talking about! This is why I joined...

Pushrods - it's my understanding that (at least in 1957) the pushrods are the same regardless if the lifters are hydraulic or solid, although I don't know about other years. The "Milk can" style lifters were gone by this point and the solids looked identical to the hydraulics, less the retaining clip above the cup. If I can get new solids that are exact replacements for those available that year, I'll be good with the pushrods. I realized after looking at them that in 1957, the pushrods didn't supply oil to the rockers...the pushrods were solid!

Paul, thanks for the tips on where to find things. I tend to shy away from eBay and Amazon (what's your recourse if theres an issue or you need tech help...typically none) and for others I found some references that may be ok but no specs on them. So your info is helpful to drill down.

Jerry thank you also I was wondering if the Elgin cam was more or less a 261 solid lifter cam. The Melling cam does sound interesting. Please keep us posted! I may spring for the Elgin unit in the meantime...I hear the "corvette grind" 261 cam is a perfect mix of added power without any lumpy idle which is ideal for what kind of use this will see.


69chevy guy

2 x 1941 Chevy Coupes, 3 x Chevy stovebolts (2x 216, 1 x 235)
69 Impala