Tgill, although a disc brake conversion is in my future plans, I have not researched fit issues – I have been “presuming” that because the backspace on my new wheels provides even more clearance than the original wheels there won’t be a problem. But we all know the dangers of presuming smile Disc brake project is on next winter’s agenda, but you are so right about the original drums and the need to anticipate everything ! I have read that disc brake conversion on a 49 requires foregoing a power booster, which is OK by me as long as manual disc performance is comparable, and again, I have read on these pages that manual disc brakes are a HUGE difference. With more stopping power I will feel more confident in taking some longer trips.

One idea I have for fitting the original hubcaps is to fasten the clips to the “side” of the inner wheel (the indented area near the bolt holes, don’t know what the official name is for that part of the wheel) instead of on the flat surface between the bolt holes. This would eliminate the need for a shim under the clip. May be unorthodox, but also might work ! Btw, I intended to pop rivet the clips on, saw a thread saying it works well.

Hope things work out at wheel Vintiques, sounds like they will. I ordered 16X6 rims, my template said 16X8 would also work but clearance, especially on the inner side of rear wheels at full spring deflection looked doubtful. On the other hand, I won’t be carrying enough weight to ever cause that condition. So, I guess I was being extra conservative in ordering the 16X6. 16X8s should be fine but double check clearance with planned tire size. There are several tire size conversion charts on line so you can make an exact cardboard template with all dimensions. Good luck, I will look for your answer to the hubcap issue.