TGILL, I just went through the same process on my 1949 3600. “Standard“ steel rims had a 4 inch backspace which simply don’t allow enough backspace, wheel rubs against the tire rod end. So, I bit the bullet and ordered 16 inch steel rims from Wheel Vintiques with a 3 1/2 inch backspace. Payment is upfront and I was told delivery would be eight weeks. After eight weeks I called and was told they could not meet my specs which they assured me they could, when I ordered, (and paid for them.) Before I could cancel the order I received an email stating that they could build the wheels as ordered. I was told they would ship in 3 to 5 days. After two weeks I called and was told again that the shop decided they could not make the wheels. Again, I canceled the order but received another call a few days later saying they could make the wheels with a three and three-quarter inch backspace, which I declined. Unhappy to say the least.

And yes, I was contacted once more and told the shop manager had decided they could build them with a 3 5/8 inch backspace which I then approved. I was assured they would ship within two days. In fact, they didn’t ship for another 2 1/2 weeks. But there is a happy ending, they arrived in good condition and fit just as my cardboard template predicted they would. I have test fit one wheel with a 225/75R 16 and the fit is just what I wanted. Will have the rest of the wheels mounted this week and will be happy to see my three piece split wheels and the rock hard bias ply truck tires the prior owner mounted on them go to wheel and tire heaven. Btw New tires and wheels are 50 pounds lighter per tire and wheel than the originals.

Like you I intended to mount my original hubcaps but that is looking very doubtful. The “pitch“ of the inner rims from wheel Vintiques are more shallow than original 17 inch wheels which means the original hubcaps will not seat properly. In order to accommodate that, I cut eight slices into the inner rim of each of the hubcaps with an angle grinder allowing them to flex inward and adapt to the new steel wheels. The only problem is The clips used to hold on the hubcaps are approximately three eights inch too short and will not engage with the rim of the hubcap. The clips you can order from Jim Carter are even shorter than the originals. I cold chiseled off the clips from the original rims that are definitely longer than the ones you can order online thinking they would work but even the originals are too short. They will require a custom made spacer to fit underneath the clip in order to raise it to the proper height. Right now I’m debating whether that is worth it! My 3600 is an original sunbaked specimen from New Mexico that’s rocksolid all over but a nice toasty brown with its share of bumps and dings from a lifetime working on a horse farm. It doesn’t look too bad without any hubcaps! Good luck with the project if you find a way to fit the hubcaps let me know I am a true shade tree mechanic so I may have missed an easy solution. Wouldn’t be the first time.