Originally Posted by Packhousemike
Tophat: The TSM brake kits I used on my 51 3800 pickup should bolt up the same on your 49 3800 panel if it still has all the stock setup as far as axles, hubs, etc. The 8 lug wheels I used are 16 x 8 with 4" back set, so the inside of the wheels/tires are in the same relative position as the stock wheels/tires, the extra width fills up the fenders very nicely.
TGill: Yes, you will have to go to a 16" wheel to clear the 12 3/4" rotor/caliper setup. They have about 3/8-7/16" clearance, it's hard to see in the pictures, but it is plenty. If I can't get these pictures to post here, pm me and I'll send them to your phone or email. As far as the brakes, go for it, made all the difference in stopping, straight, smooth, and quick! And I'm not using a booster, got a dual m/cylinder from POL, biggest headache was making up all new hard lines. Double flares are aggravating. Think I got the pics in here, hoping for the best.

Here's Mike's reply buried in another forum (my bad).