Originally Posted by posey
So I have had good luck installing new NOS bearings correctly installed everywhere on the pinion shaft assembly and nice parts new ring gear installed new carrier bearings, I keep reading mostly the Chevy manual although I’ve looked at several other articles from the various members on the site. Everyone has a different answer. Should I go by the shim selection of the Chevy manual which suggests using one 0.18” shim when installing new ring and pinion or should I short cut to some other shim selection?
What I had in there originally was one 0.15 shim and it was a sloppy mess with huge backlash, at least 0.70

Running in a 54 half ton with a 53 gear carrier

Thanks Todd
The pinion shim will not have any impact on the backlash, it will have an effect on the contact pattern of where the pinion rides on the ring gear, I would start out with shim thickness of .023 since you had a .015 in there originally. You stated .15" but surely you meant .015"
Backlash is adjusted with the side to side nuts on either side of the differential side bearings.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration