Maybe a bit late to the conversation but here's my two cents.
I had a 48 years ago with a 3 speed. It was worn out and would stick in second gear until you came to a complete stop. I was cutting and hauling firewood (3 trips per cord) so skipping second gear wasn't an option.
In those days (1970) there were dozens of those transmissions in the wrecking yards but they all had the same parts worn out. I don't remember if new parts were unavailable but they might as well have been because I had not money for that. So I patched together enough parts that weren't completely worn out to come up with a transmission that wouldn't stick in second gear. This was a trial and error deal and I got very good at R&R ing the transmission. Any how I have long believed that the 3-speed was the pickup's weak point. That and worn out vacuum wiper motors. A T5 seems like a dream come true.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.