The edelbrock I put on my 327 ran great out of the box, but it was pre-tuned to the performer system, which I have on my engine. If I'm not mistaken, the lopier, more aggressive cams don't have as strong of a vacuum signature, and therefore run leaner than an rv cam on a torque-tuned motor. that would make a carb run great on my engine, but $h*tty on yours.
To tune your carb, start turning in the two idle mixture screws on the front of your carb 1/2 turn at a time. It's important you alternate from one side to the other, to keep them in the same position as the other. Keep going in until the RPMs of your engine drop. This indicates your engine is too lean. Now back the screws out, alternating again, but going only 1/4 turn at a time. The RPMs will climb back up until they hit a plateau. Give each screw one more 1/4 turn, and you should be good. You can do this by ear, just listening to the RPMs, but an accurate handheld tach is a lot more precise. Hope this helps.