After a silly long journey (paid for transport 8/30, got truck 12/05), my '35 1.5 ton mil spec truck has finally arrived. Fortunately, Santa delivered lots of goodies to help care for her. In the coming weeks, I'll be looking into adding a heater, and replacing the rest of the lights the trucking company killed when they jump started her. They had brilliantly left the ignition on and the parking brake set, which toasted the battery during the months it spent with them, as the parking brake activates the stop lamp when engaged with ignition on. They apparently tried the lights as well when they jumped her, as more than one bulb was blown. Dale, the PO, had kindly left large notes about the stop lamp and the battery disconnect location on the windshield, which were ignored by the "professionals". PM me if you want to know who NOT to transport with...

I still haven't got a tag yet, as NC is "slow and careful" when it comes to antique vehicles. They required an inspector come to my house to look at the truck before titling, and as you might expect, the process is not fast, especially around the holidays.

I've yet to check the rear gear ratio. Docs from Chevy Heritage indicate that the 1.5 ton QB standard rear ratio was 6.166, but an optional 5.428 was available then. Anyone ever seen the 5.428 gear set? She's been re-engined with a '48 216, and that bit of extra power means I might be able to put the 5.428 ratio to good use. The swap looks like a nice job BTW, with a replacement crossmember from a '36, not just chopping the old one. I got the original 207 as part of the deal, but I doubt if I'll ever rebuild it. I got a spare 216 and some front end parts too. Overall, I'm tickled (happy, to you modern guys).

Since the hard work of getting the 216 in there is already done, does this mean going for a 261 would be fairly easy?
Attachments
HomeInGarage.jpg (150.53 KB, 249 downloads)
35_12.jpg (142.05 KB, 248 downloads)
35_2.jpg.jpg (98.57 KB, 239 downloads)
35_4.jpg (73.86 KB, 236 downloads)
35_3.jpg (141.21 KB, 232 downloads)

Last edited by thurman; 12/26/2018 5:03 PM. Reason: clarity

'35 1.5 ton military