[quote=Volfandt]A trick I used to get my 216 running after R&R'ing the head was spray gas down the carb while cranking with the key on and the idle set high (but not WOT).
Make sure you have your timing set static as HRM indicated to lessen the chance of a back fire.
I use an old spray bottle and fill it with gas when needed. I used to have an old 48 TE20 tractor that I had to start with this method when the temps dropped below 20.
Ether and other starting fluids are the bane of ICE's.......
Based on a good friend of mine receiving 3rd degree burns on most of his body from doing what you are suggesting, I must disagree with anyone using this method. A backfire under those circumstances is exactly what went wrong for my friend.
Hence the statement to "make sure you have your timing set static as HRM indicated to lessen the chance of a back fire"...
Ether will do the same plus ruin rings and/or bend/break a rod. If one has to use a starting aid atomized fuel is the better choice.
A pic of a carb feeding fuel. A 1bbl