I suppose you are going to take the wheel cylinder off to rebuild it so you may as well take it all apart. If you have access to a blasting cabinet then you can make them all look pretty and paint your color of choice......or like I did for many years just clean them up on the bench grinder the best you can and repaint. Back then I used gas to clean the backing plate but now I use Kerosene, brake clean which you don't get much in a can for the money, or citrus orange....purple power/simple green or a putty knife and steel brush.

I'll open a can of worms here but IF the brake shoes are good and clean I'd scuff them up a little to get the glaze off unless you have new ones. If it goes it has to Whoaaa..

Last edited by Achipmunk; 05/30/2018 2:22 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile