I found a 1950 6400 that was parked 24 years. Rotated the engine but good that I didn't try to fire it up. After engine tear down I was amazed with the sludge and carbon built up in the oil pan and galleries. Mine has an early 1954 261 in it with no oil filter, so this gunky state must be a simple lack of oil changes. Starting it would have ruined the engine on a few minutes. But, based on the rest of the truck's condition, it's safe to assume that it had very little maintenance other than to repair breakdowns. Like the steering drag link that instead of a ball and two cups, mine has a ball, one cup and then two stacked flat washers on the other side. Front springs are broken and on disassembly, looks they've never seen a grease gun, pins nearly worn through. To get inside the brakes, had to disassemble from the rear and remove the drums, hubs, cylinders and shoes all together and then break them apart. Cylinders were frozen but the wheels turned, but couldn't get the drums over the wear grooves.

For suspension and front end steering parts I've got several things ordered from Jim Carter OldChevyTruck.com. Just make sure you get the specific parts that fit the 2-ton.


Life is Good