A friendly argument is unfolding around the plumbing on my 261. A close friend has "loaned me" a bypass thermostat housing. It is currently plumbed as you see in the photo - top of housing to one of the outlets in the dual-outlet water pump. A guy who claims to "know his way around engines" suggests that the hose should go to the plugged opening "A" instead of the top outlet. from the water pump. There may be merit to his argument - by doing so I will be getting water through the 848 head instead of back to the radiator until the thermostat opens. I know there is lively conversation surrounding these housings and the fact that you cant buy a thermostat for these.
Second photo shows housing, bottom casting, before powder coating. Thermostat seats in this casting and top casting has a large outlet to the radiator, and a small outlet assumed to go to the heater.
I just want to start with proper connections.
Thanks for your comments, and Sweet - its not leaking......yet.