Being a jeeper when younger, and using a winch a lot, I can not imagine running a winch on just a battery (I would want a real good battery and a high output charging system). A low battery will cause your winch motor to heat up and also shorten its life. As you stated, you don't want to get half-loaded and run out of juice for your winch! Then you are stuck with your load half on, and half off and no winch!

I agree with Bartamos, it may be a simpler and better over-all solution to change your truck over to 12volts.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof