Thank you!
Yes, this is a huge project for me Your forum gave me the courage to take on this project.
I picked up the '51 Chevy 1-ton this weekend. I understand it was a dump truck in SD. Body is in great shape. Yeah, it's got bumps, dings and graffiti but she's solid. I'm excited about getting her back on the road.
I think once I get the floor pan patched up I can start tearing down the fenders, hood, etc. to get the engine and trans out. But, in the meantime I need all the help I can get in developing a plan for drivetrain, suspension and brakes.
What engine would be best?
How to mount the new engine?
What transmission would be best (gas efficient yet easily pull a small vintage travel trailer wherever we wanted to go comfortably and ease of mind on reliability).
Where to get disc brakes for the 1-ton?
How to address issues with wheel fit (would love similar look of these old wheels).
And best suspension mods (remove springs, new springs, springs from 1/2 ton, or ???)
It sounds like the best approach is to keep the original chassis and make the drivetrain, brake and suspension mods with kits (if they are available). I'm not a fabricator.
If anyone has any experience with the mods I hope to make on these 1-ton beauties I'd most certainly appreciate your help!! (The truck most certainly will not be carrying 1-ton loads, I just really like the looks of the dual wheels).
Suggestions for a plan of approach are also most welcome. The budget is "low buck truck".