To do what you need will create a lot of work whichever way you go. Hopefully someone like Grigg will weigh in as he has updated these old girls before to be able to do what you expect. Discs, diesels, etc.

As for the frame swap, you need pretty good fabrication skills to tackle this. I tried it when I was younger with a 1/2 ton and it chewed me up and spit me out. I could do it now after 10 years more knowledge and fabrication practice, but green horns shouldn't jump in that deep end. Know what you're doing or get someone who knows how to help. Speaking from experience I'd hate for you to get frustrated, lose interest in your ride, sell it, lose money and then have to start over one day. Now I'm going the more "restored" route and I am enjoying it a lot more. Mind you, my 1 ton won't be flying down the 3 lane pulling a trailer.
My 70 c10 will be doing that 😉

Regarding frames, the 1/2 ton and 1 ton frames have huge differences. Width, length, form, they are not interchangeable.

Last edited by Fox; 11/14/2017 5:50 AM.

1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300