Hi, I'm new to the Sovebolt forums. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm in the process of purchasing a 1951 Chevy 1ton (3800) cab/chassis with dual rear wheels. The engine is inop. What I would like to do is make the truck more drivable (comfortable), as fuel efficient as possible, keep old body as is (rust and all), safe (braking, steering) and capable of easily pulling a small vintage travel trailer (16-18'?).

I don't know whether it is better to add on all the 'necessary' mods or consider a chassis swap. In looking at add ones it seems like aftermarket suppliers of engine conversion kits, etc. cater to the more prevalent 1/2 ton Chevy. This is the first hurdle - finding aftermarket suppliers for the 1 ton. But, maybe the chassis for the 1/2 and 1 ton are the same except for length??
Or, if better to swap to a late model Chevy chassis, which one? And, does anyone have experience doing this? It seems in the long run that the chassis swap may be cheaper and provide extras like the V8, power brakes, power steering, etc. Please keep in mind my '51 is a dually and I hope the wheelbase and front tread width will be similar and identical, respectively.
Any and all help most certainly appreciated!!!