Thank you for your responses, my lack of experience showing in terminology. The picture of the blue flame you provided illustrates the "adaptor"- for my lack of better terms- between the block/oil pan and the transmission. If you notice there are 5/16x2" or so bolts that go from behind the block IN TO the tranny. One is visible in the picture. Where the bell housing bolts go forward into block, these go backward from engine to transmission. The one I still in there cannot be removed without removing oil pan if that helps. The motor is an oiler (55) and the transmission is the 2 speed auto that you manually shift.

A friend of mine has a '61 235 he pulled out of a project for 350 swap. He thinks it's rebuilt and never been run, will sell it to me at a good price. I'm wondering if it would be wiser to bench test it then swap and have a running car while I rebuild my old motor? or might it be best to remove my motor and build it being down for who knows how long...

Last edited by fils55; 02/27/2017 3:56 AM.