Alright, I could have just let this one slip right on by, but, it's only right I finish the story.
So today was the day I'd drop the pan and check on the oil pump pick up plumbing. Have my gasket set and a nice sunny day. Perfect.

First of course was to get er all hotted up to drain the oil. Second, I wanted to measure the oil carefully just to see what was in the crankcase. I know, get to the point.
Measured just under 4 quarts ! Dunce City Man ! That's where I be ! Remember, I added an additional quart (to get to the 4) in my previous test (where I could not recreate the condition of lost oil pressure). So I went with what my 1960 truck manual says to put in (5 qts. plus 1 qt. more if replacing filter, which I was). So 6 qts of 15w-40 Rotella (actually with one pint of Lucas TB Zinc Plus as part of the six quarts).

Drove all over town and never had any issue with oil pressure, so I'm going with that for now. Took note of where on the dipstick that amount reads. dang


1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2-ton (G-506 Military) Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Short video
Longer video