I got to the job site this morning, read the last two posts and I was laughing my head off. I wanted to respond but I couldn't remember my password to sign in. Only had my phone. My computer fills it in automatically. Too funny !
On my topic here, I have some new info, for what it's worth. I was fixing to rig up either an additional oil pressure gauge or just a singular unit. Turned out I had another gauge but I couldn't see it, because it was in plain sight! doh! Anyhoo, I'll try to be quick. I started my engine and observed my current gauge. I ran the motor for a good twenty minutes or so in the driveway. The pressure never dropped below 20psi even when idling. Applying say one quarter throttle brought it up to much closer to the 40 than the 20 even after it was good and hot. Gauge reads 0-20-40-60-80. Finally I say "lets take her out". Driving around nothing happens at first. Then, sure enough, it drops off to near zero, but not when I'm accelerating or cruising, only during slow downs or stops. Always comes back with a little blip of the throttle. So I think alright, I've checked the oil, but maybe for whatever reason the level in the crankcase is low (or lowering) and the oil in there is surging forward and not being picked up. Then I add a quart of oil just to see what happens. Well, I could not create the condition again in about the ten or fifteen minutes I kept driving. Hmm. Brought er back to the barn. Parked on a level spot on the driveway and let it for about 10 minutes. Oil is a little high on the stick, by about a quarter inch. So maybe I was a little low starting out. Still doesn't seem right.
So I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with the gauge. There's nothing wrong with the pump itself. Maybe something amiss in regard to the pickup and or screen (never did this before). Or maybe, and I'm just trying to be logical without any real mechanical knowledge, it has to do with how quickly the oil is able to drain through what is has to, to return to the pan. While it was rebuilt (tag says) in 1974, and I've owned it since 1977, it never has been ran a lot or very far. My hunch is that it's all gooped and gunked up. Realistically, I'm thinking the engine should be overhauled, if only for a good cleaning. I don't particularly care to do that right now, and would like to try to buy a little time. Would rather try to flush it out somehow. Maybe do the ole kerosene/oil bath. Does this make any sense ?