Bandaid "fix"? You danged skippy it is, Tiny.
I did the 8 volt switcheroo 20-something years ago and had no problems whatsoever. I just tweaked the regulator up to around 9 volts read at the battery. I also cleaned all terminals and the frame for good connections.
I was very pleased to have a starter which did more than tell me, "I think I can, I think I can," before it may or may not start.
There is a concern about blowing 6 volt bulbs on an 8 volt battery, but if you measure the voltage at the bulbs, you will find a natural drop in voltage to begin with. (There have been posts on this site about using relays to correct this situation on the headlights.)
I have since gone with the 12 volt conversion with an alternator with internal regulator. I think that I could drive the truck down the road with just the 6 volt starter motor. Maybe not very far though.
I would like to have a bone stock AD one day with a fully functional 6 volt system. I just wouldn't want to depend on it as a daily driver.
Carl



1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission