I could not figure out a mathematical ratio 'answer' to the speed difference...

55.2 235 (original/rebuilt) engine; 3 speed transmission (original); new plastic replacement speedo driven gear (old metal one had broken square-end cable inside- not removable); new speedometer cable; new speedometer gauge (or, purchased as a "new" one). For sake of argument, trust that when I have to use "new" as an adjective, that was the only option.

The cable was engaged at both ends & engaged properly. At first I thought about chucking the speedometer cable (at the trans end) in a drill to test it, but it was just as easy to drive the truck, and I didn't want to figure out which direction the drill needed to spin.

I drove five (5) odometer miles to let the new speedo parts "meet" each other & for us to pick out our 30 MPH & 45 MPH checkpoints (CP) on the route; I dropped my friend off at his truck & followed him three (3) miles out, and three (3) miles back noting the speed at our two CP each way (0 MPH start, 30 MPH @ CP 1, 45 MPH @ CP 2). The speedometer was consistent, registering the same incremented values each way. The odometer was correct within 1/10th of one mile at the turn around point, and was correct upon return to base (or, it was the same as my friend's digital readout/trip counter in his truck).

I will look for some pictures.
Thanks for the help.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD