Jim - either I didn't say what I meant to say, or you misunderstood.
The SU carbs, AS USED ORIGINALLY, AND NOT NEEDING MACHINE WORK, are very easy to tune and adjust, no argument, I totally agree.
However, probably 90 percent were warped to the point of needing machined slides 40 years ago, and I doubt they have repaired themselves. Also, we found many with the bodies warped to the point of needing machining AND sleeving.
Also, FOR THE MOST PART, the SU's were used on engines that produce far more RPM than the stovebolt 6, thus having metering needles that will need replacing as the A/F ratio curve is different. As I mentioned in my first post, I do not know the availability of different needles; and SU made dozens of different profiles.
If an enthusiast was familiar with recalibrating these units AND have their own stock of needles, then go for it.
But for those who do not have a huge stock of metering needles (or a precision miniature lathe with a taper attachment) I don't believe the SU is the answer.
And I completely agree about the Stromberg CD (English Stromberg, NOT Stromberg USA). Most were replaced with SU's from the same car before smog emissions.
I really DO like the SU carb, just not to migrate to a different application. (Note the second line in my signature).