Just bought a 1946 Chevrolet 2-ton grain truck with a dump bed for my son and I to fix up together, been browsing the forum and many others for several days now.
I don't see a way to attach pictures so i'll have to upload some to a hosting site i guess.
The truck appears nearly all original (no hack jobs anyways) no major dents except drivers side hood looks like someone sat on it!! and NO rust! only missing a couple pieces.
I found on the front of the block forward of the fuel pump the cast numbers 3703414 which seems to be a 261? 54-56?
I cant read the numbers by the starter unless i take it off it looks like. Today I pre-oiled the engine, turned it by hand with the valve cover off and saw everything moving and oil coming out so i hooked up a battery and stepped on the switch, it cranks but i had no spark, i'm off today to get a coil and some points and plugs, etc. It needs a new water pump too it leaks water from the bottom of the pump.
I've read that everything on this motor is the same as a 235? as far as pumps and gaskets, etc, is that correct?
Is there anywhere that has diagrams of these trucks kind of like LMC truck does for later year trucks? I'm going for a mainly original restoration and not having dealt with these trucks before I'm trying to find a more visual reference for how everything is stock, like how cab seals go in, etc.
I need all new glass, do auto glass places still cut glass to fit or would i be better off buying a pre made set? (i have the originals)
anyone know the name of the sheet metal piece that goes in between the hoods on the front and holds the center hinge? Its missing on my truck and not knowing what its called makes it even more difficult to find!
any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, I'll try and upload some picture links as soon as i can.