Progress has been slow on the bed lately because we have been so busy with other things.

This week we did make some progress on the taillight pockets. The custom holes for the lenses are now milled out to accept the taillights, the pockets we fabricated a few months ago are ready to be welded together and then welded onto the bed.

After those are on, the last fabrication item are the brackets for the tailgate hinges and then box off the bottom of back below the tailgate.

The metal shop is then going to have one of their employees clean up all the welds, blast the bed and tailgate and the prime it all with PPG epoxy primer.

After we fit it on the truck, we will mock up the alterations to the original steel 4" C-channel bumper to have a clean appearance with the bed. This will include some added strength so a hitch receiver can be welded underneath the bumper and a metal backing plate where the license plate will mount.

A friend from out of town recently visited and I showed him the bare metal cab, sitting on the frame in my barn. He commented that it was odd that I had started with the bed in my resto-mod. I laughed and told him I was starting at the back and working my way to the front. LOL


'53 3100 5-window
'57 Mercury Monterey 2-Door Sedan
Tim H